Search this blog

Monday, April 19, 2021

USA Switching Layout

How I wish I could claim to have built this layout! I can't though! However I do now own it following a purchase from a wonderful gentleman who built the layout during lockdown and I collected it today. I bought the layout on the basis of seeing some photographs and whilst I would normally recommend seeing in person before buying, the photographs were more than enough to satisfy my senses that the layout was built by someone who really knew what they were doing. Meeting said gentleman and seeing the layout for the first time proved my senses were more than right! There is some fantastic detail on this layout and it just oozes atmosphere of those small mid west places in the USA where the railroad dealt with the freight of a predominantly agricultural economy. Love the little cameos and the way the whole layout flows. Every time I go back to look I see something new.

Why did I buy this layout? Good question for someone who already has a host of projects on the go. I have a small collection of USA locos and freight cars (note that they are freight cars not wagons in the USA) built up over the years mainly because I have holidayed in the USA in the west and mid west in some real off the trail places and their railroads ( note not railways!) hold a fascination for me. I have never really been able to run them and on my bucket list was a layout just like this. Given all my other projects it was a no brainer to me when this came on the market that I could get a fabulous layout and actually run my stock rather than await some distant future when my other projects are complete ( if that point ever arrives!). 

I will be having a running session in the near future but in the meantime I have been looking, admiring and in my mind I am back in the mid west USA where I had some fantastic holidays! Here are some photos.










No comments:

Post a Comment