Search this blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

And now for something completely different! - Small 009 Narrow Gauge Layout

Well since various tank and truck related projects have been completed the time has come to move onto something different although this does go back in time - almost another Shelf Queen. As you may have noted I have varied model making  interests - possibly too many both for my sanity and wallet! However in the spirit of 'you only live once', here is my excursion into 009 narrow gauge modelling. Not my first but I wouldn't say I am an expert so follow this and learn from my mistakes!

The basis of this layout is a piece of hardboard that came as part of the packing on some furniture. In true 'that will come in handy' style it went into the garage but unlike many of its friends in there, it re-emerged to become the baseboard to this layout in a matter of months. Whilst hardboard is not seen as the best material for a layout it was what I had, fitted size wise to what I was going to do and with some bracing it would be stable enough and given the Lock Down getting any new materials was next to impossible. The pictures below show the construction. The measurements of the board are, and as I am old these are in inches, 22 by 44. Bracing is some soft wood 2 x 1inch cross braces and 2 x 1/2 inch longitudinal braces all held together with screws. All components were painted in acrylic white undercoat to give a bright clean background on which to start working on. The pictures show better than my words!



You will note from the date stamp on the photo the baseboard was constructed in April of last year and as I was still working despite the pandemic this was a weekend job - it was from memory a nice warm weekend when I should have perhaps cut the grass but it will only grow again!.

The track plan is fairly simple as the picture below shows, with an oval and some sidings. My plan was always to add another board so there are two sidings leading off the oval to facilitate that when the time comes! As you can see profile boards for the landscape are in place and painted a satin grey. At this point the trackwork is yet to be finally laid and more of that next time. 










No comments:

Post a Comment