Search this blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Bricking it!

No! I am not in fear (for those outside the UK there is an online description of the phrase here ) although I may be later on if I don't get Mrs Woody's list of jobs finished! Bricking it in this case is related to the Dapol General Store where I have amongst other things painted the brick work. The windows, doors and roof have also been painted.

The painting started with what was a fairly vivid red although it was my personal mix from Vallejo Earth Brown, Orange and Red but it did not finish the shade I thought it would. Lesson to be learnt here - never trust me to mix anything as Mrs W has already learnt from one or two kitchen related incidents. Enough said! Back to the red paint. Never mind there are other things that would be done to it to tone it down.


This is what it looked like looking almost Post Office Red. However a caot of Earth Brown mixed with some Light Grey was gently wafted from a distance so that it dusted rather than painted the surface which still allowed that red base coat to be seen but through a opaque shading colour - nice!


At the moment I am adding washes of very dilute grey to highlight the mortar courses. The relief in the casting of the building is not very deep which is causing some issues and was the main reason that I did not use my usual way of colouring bricks with coloured pencils. However the picture below shows the concrete window cills have been painted in and one window frame is temporarily in along with the roof  to give an idea of how the building will eventually look. Now where is that list of jobs.........



No comments:

Post a Comment