Search this blog

Friday, December 24, 2021

Working smarter not harder as I get older!

In my last post I described how I had used sellotape around the bridge abutments to protect them from the sloppy filler mix that I was sloshing about as I constructed the river banks of my narrow gauge layout - all part of my working smarter not harder as I get older philosophy. Well it did work. I managed to extract the abutments and there was a fair amount of filler on them.

009 gauge model railway layout

Peel off the selotape and hey presto....

009 gauge model railway layout

Next up was giving some colour to the brickwork so it was like being back at school as the colouring pencils came out. A few good quality artists pencils in reds and browns just randomly run over the brickwork pick out the bricks whilst leaving the mortar course a nice grey from the primer coat. If you look at real bricks they are not just one colour - they have a multitude of colours in them which this pencil method of colour gives a fair impression of.

009 gauge model railway layout

009 gauge model railway layout

The finished items ready to go back in place. Once the filler is dried on the river banks and in the river bed I will seal it with a coat of varnish before putting some river bed type debris in place. Then the plan is to pour a resin in to create the river which has all sorts of possibilities of going wrong unless I am really smart in my older age! 

009 gauge model railway layout


   

No comments:

Post a Comment