Search this blog

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Silver lining?

 


Way back when I started this build of the Zvezda K5350 Mustang it started with the engine block and gearbox. I was going to paint these before they were installed in the chassis but as the build went on that wasn't a realistic possibility - I just would not be able to paint the chassis whilst not overpainting the engine/gearbox to some degree. Hence I am now at the stage with the chassis painted where I need to paint the engine block, gearbox and transfer box for the 6 wheel drive in a silver or in this case an aluminum colour. Given the basecoat is black on the components, the aluminum Vallejo paint covered well. I used a mix of the ready thinned Vallejo Air and the ordinary paint that gave a first coat that in effect 'floated' itself into most of the nooks and crannies. A slightly thicker second coat went on once that thin coat had dried out. After that had dried a little black paint was brushed onto areas where the aluminium paint had strayed and it almost looks as though I know what I am doing! The disappointing part is that much of that detailed engine will be covered for ever and amore once the cab is installed. The kit offers the option of the cab in normal position or with the cab tilted to make the engine viable. No doubt with some though a way to make the cab 'tiltable' could be found but I am happy enough just to have a truck with the cab in driving position. If the guys at Zvezda had meant it to tilt then that's how they would have made it so I am not going to try to do what they did not! Fitting the cab and body back on the chassis you can see how much of the engine and transmission is hidden. Once I get some weathering on that will tone everything down and hide some of my dodgy painting - every cloud has a silver lining!


No comments:

Post a Comment