Search this blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

A bucket list item done!

A strange term 'bucket list'. Most of my 'bucket list' items would probably fit in a jam jar! Not that I don't have many but I am never going to be an astronaut, a World class cyclist or similar so I have a modest list which does included driving a tank and going back to the USA to see friends that Mrs W and I haven't seen in nearly 16 years. 

However on Sunday another visit to Rocks by Rail nears Cottesmore saw me fulfill a long held desire and 'Bucket list' item to drive a railway engine. I have been incredibly privileged to have ridden on the footplate of an F Unit in the USA, stood on the footplate of one of the steam locos at the Sumpter Valley Railroad in Oregon and climbed into the cab of a massive cab forward loco at the Sacramento Railroad Museum in California. I have however never driven a loco. However that changed on Sunday.

Every so often the museum hold a Driver 4 a Fiver event which allows you to drive, with supervision, a diesel locomotive down the line and back. Five pounds for that - bargain! I was last to go as we arrived in the afternoon and there was still a long que and probably a good thing as the supervisor probably needed a strong drink and a lie down after having me at the helm! 

The locomotive was a 0-4-0 Sentinel shunter called Betty which is one that Hornby measured up to produce their model of the loco. The name Betty did evoke thoughts of the long ago comedy TV show Some Mothers Do Have 'Em which older readers will probably remember.

This is the loco.


Surprisingly the controls are very simple and duplicated on both sides of the control panel which means the supervisor can step in - very useful with me at the helm! From the left the lever that selects forward and reverse, in the middle the accelerator or throttle with the horn button underneath and on the right the brake.


If you got in my way you would see this coming towards you!


It all went well and apart from pulling the throttle towards me too much and suddenly revving the engine like a race car! I really enjoyed the experience and yes I would do it again - if they let me back on the footplate!!!! THe best bit - the horn! Very loud and certainly makes people know you are there! Their next and last for this year Driver 4 a Fiver event is on Sunday 3rd October 2021. Details on their web ite which you can visit by clicking here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment