Search this blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

On track.

Whilst I am letting the decals set on the K5350 truck I got a little distracted by starting to lay the track for on the 009 narrow gauge layout (really must think of a name for it). 

You may recall my ponderings regarding my failure to think my track plan through - click here if you want to read that post. Well I sorted that out without having to buy any new points - not that you can get hold of them at the moment! Without going into detail the track and wiring is almost finished on the second board. I am leaving my options open at the moment as to whether this will be a DCC or analogue operated layout - I am erring on the side of DCC at the moment but that could change - so the wiring allows the layout to be sectionalsied to create isolated sections of track should I go for analogue. In my bid to continue with my working smarter not harder as I get older ideology I have tried to avoid future problems and swear jar contributions by coating the point tie bars in Cotton Tree petroleum jelly (where Mrs W got that obscure brand from is beyond me but she will need another jar as it is now in my man cave) (usual disclaimer that other brands of similar natured petroleum jelly type products may also be available at your chosen emporium for the purchase of such things) to avoid them getting glued up when I do the ballasting. In addition I have cut the holes for point motors should I wish to fit them in the future - and put masking tape over them to avoid ballast and glue running through onto the floor. Not so much a problem in my man cave AKA The Room of Gloom but I having tried to remove set ballast from a carpet without Mrs W noticing has made me uber cautious!

Here are some pictures which probably explain better than my words!




At the joint between the two baseboards the track is reinforced to make a strong joint by soldering the track to sleeper sized copper clad strip. Note the cut in the middle of the copper clad sleeper. Without it there would be a short circuit as soon as power was applied to the track.


This is what the track layout will look like when finished. Notice the thinking ahead part of my plan in that my longest train fits the passing loop - avoiding a swear jar contributing moment!




No comments:

Post a Comment