Search this blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Do as you're told!

No. Not a telling off from Woody but that does happen! In this case its a cautionary tale. The instructions by Zvezda foe the K5350 Mustang truck do state clearly that you should build the kit following the numbered sequence in the plans. Up until now this is exactly what I have done and construction of the model has been stress free. Of course being me I knew better when it came to the dual drive rear axle. Rather than follow the plans and cement the axles onto the leaf springs and then add the prop-shaft joining the two I thought I would construct the springs, axles and prop-shaft as a sub assembly and then attach to the chassis. Much easier in my mind and why didn't the guys at Zvezda think of this? I went on my way and put the sub assembly together and all went well. Congratulating myself on my brilliance I leaned back to admire my work. After a few minutes of self indulgent praise I went to fit the sub assembly to the chassis. At this point there was a realisation as to the folly of my idea. There is a tube joining the two sides of the chassis where the dual drive axles go. The prop-shaft had to go under these! There was a swear jar moment and then as luck would have it I managed to dis-assemble my sub assembly before the glue had done its job. 

Lesson learnt without too much damage being done other than to my pride! From now on I will be following the instructions because unlike many other kits these actually are written by someone who knows what they are doing  unlike the guy building this model!

The above incident and other matters slowed me down yesterday so the chassis still needs a little work but here is were it is at.


Yesterdays musical modelling accompaniment was provided by the first half of the compilations double album The First Summer of Love with songs from the 60s. The second part will come later on. 




No comments:

Post a Comment