Search this blog

Monday, July 19, 2021

One for the birds!

In this case this is not an entry into this blog about the strange ideas I come up with which in many cases are indeed ones for the birds! This is actually about a bird table/feeder. 

Built by me back in around 1996 from scraps of wood that I had lying about it has lasted remarkably well to say that all that I have done to it is occasionally slap on some wood stain. However, as you can see from the photo above it had got to the stage where no self respecting bird would come to it regardless of the feathered friend style culinary delights that I would place on it. Time had come for a makeover. So, hard on the heels of the garden bench restoration here comes the bird table restoration.

Following examination the base was condemned and had to go. It promptly feel off as if to agree with the decision so that was simple. other wise apart from re-nailing a few of the roof slats and a paint job this was going to be reasonably easy and swear jar free! 

Whilst I was cutting the slats for the garden bench restoration that featured in an earlier post, I took the opportunity to cut the required pieces for a new base with the miter saw.


I took the opportunity to paint all the new parts before assembly so that they at least all had a coat of protection even in those areas where two parts come together. A few minutes with my drill and some screws and the base was complete.

The old base had rooted from the bottom up. Where the wooden 'feet' of the base stood on the ground, water had impregnated and started the inevitable wood rot leading to this.


Nice! In an attempt to avoid this happening in the future I used part of an off cut from some roofing felt to put on the feet. The theory is that the felt should stop water impregnating the wood - we'll wait and see if my theory works!

A large screw sourced from the WMD HQ collection of screws that might come in handy one day was greased and joined the base to the post. Further screws saw the supporting pieces reinstated and low and behold and much to my amazement the bird table stood straight and solid! 



Some nails in the roof slats and a couple of coats of wood paint and the end result was something that perhaps birds may indeed feel inclined to use now - better put some food on it! 

Another item saved from the scrap heap!

No comments:

Post a Comment