Search this blog

Friday, February 4, 2022

Masking it!

No not masking me up although some would say it might improve my looks! In this case I needed to paint the straps on the fuel tanks for the Scania 141LB in an aluminum shade of paint. I could have tried doing it freehand with a paintbrush but previous experience starting from my early days of childhood has shown me my inability to keep in the lines not only of colouring books but on models as well. So I needed to mask the tanks and then airbrush the silver paint. It took me almost an hour to mask the tanks up but it was worth it. Whilst the paint was in the airbrush I also painted the tank for the Scania 143.

Heller Scania 141 LB

Heller Scania 141 LB

Also taking time but not needing masking were various components on the engine so they look a bit more interesting now.

Heller Scania 141 LB

Heller Scania 141 LB

They need to dry fully and a coat of varnish will be applied before they both get a wash of black to highlight the details. This may sound a bit strange as black hides things but in this case the wash is a very dilute mix of paint that settles in the recesses and around the edges of the models which in effect highlights them. 

Putting my efforts together for the day there is not all that much to show but this is sometimes how model making goes - progress is masked by the detail!

Heller Scania 141 LB


No comments:

Post a Comment