Search this blog

Sunday, February 18, 2024

The sands of time mean a spare box is handy!

Following on from yesterday, when I probably unwisely announced I was going to finish off some of my outstanding projects in order to get rid of the boxes that contained the last few parts that these projects needed to be finished, I have actually ironically found a reason to have a spare box handy! Let me explain!

I was going to get the DAF 95 Canvas Truck completed but there were some parts to paint including the side under-run bars and the mounting parts for the windscreen visor. I painted these and left them to dry.

Italeri DAF 95 Canvas Truck

Finding something to do whilst the paint dry drew me to the Tamiya Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma model that just needed the wheel hubs fitting. I had left them off as I was going to do more weathering on it but I now think it looks fine. Most of my weathering is quite heavy so it makes a change to have a model that looks as though it may not have been through a mud bath! The hubs were fitted without major incident which was somewhat unusual as I did not even drop one of the hubs on the floor!

Tamiya Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma

I then thought that it would be nice to mount it on a diorama base so as I had one of my saved styrene pizza bases to hand from another job it got cut to a rectangular shape.
Tamiya Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma

A coat of black acrylic paint was applied which dried fairly quickly.

Tamiya Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma

Then the play PVA glue was applied.

Tamiya Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma

Onto which my favoured kiln dried sand  or the sands of time as I now call it because it's the same type as found in hour glasses, was scattered and this is where the spare box comes in handy! All the mess is contained in it and the surplus sand, once the glue dries, can be put back in its container for reuse!

Tamiya Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma

Which, once all the base was covered I soaked the sand in dilute PVA using a syringe.

Tamiya Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma

Then another layer of sand!

Tamiya Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma

It just needs to dry fully now and should do as I sneaked it passed Mrs. Woody into the airing cupboard where hopefully she will not find it. If she does, she may well find having a spare box around is also handy for her, as she can use it to hit me with it! Aren't boxes great!

No comments:

Post a Comment