Search this blog

Friday, October 11, 2024

A quick, easy build with no brass etched parts!

From the start of this blog I have featured me building quite a few kits, mainly military and trucks but never a plane. However that has now changed! There is a story behind this kit. Last year, Rob at the Rocks by Rail Museum who built models some time ago suggest a build off to see who could come up with the best model. He also helpfully pointed out that Lidl, the discount store, had some Airfix kits on offer for I think £7.99. I was up for the challenge and for reasons that I cannot recall it was left to me to go to Lidl's to get two Spitfires and actually coming out with two Tomahawks as the Spitfires had sold out! I presented Rob with his kit and we agreed that the new year would be the time to build. Well Rob still has not started so I decided it was time before the new year became another new year!

The kit is one of the new style beginners packages with the kit, paints, paint brush and glue - great value! 

Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk11B

Opening the box reveals the contents which are a lot different from those that came when I was a lad many, many years ago!

Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk11B

The instructions are much the same once you wade through the various safety warnings in many different languages. The paint brush is a nice Humbrol one and the paints are acrylics in small pots that can unfortunately dry out with age. Not sure how these ones will fair but I generally use my paint collection so I probably will not use these. 

Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk11B

The moulding themselves are a revelation over my memories of these Airfix kits with crisp, flash free parts that look very detailed.

With the examination out of the way it was time to start building and as Mr. Beecham commented to me when I told him I was building this, it should be a quick and easy build with no brass etched parts! He is right about the etched parts but quick and easy with my history - that might be optimistic!

The first thing you have to do is paint the cockpit interior. This is where the kit and reality are at odds with each other. From what I can gather the cockpit interior was green whilst the instructions and supplied paint say it was like a beige. Having a suitable green paint in stock I will be painting it green!

Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk11B

If Mr. B is right, by this time next week I should be finished! Stay tuned to see if that is any where near correct!




4 comments:

  1. Watching the television series “Hornby: A Model World” was a revelation as to how much work now goes into the detail and accuracy of all their models now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hornby programmes have been great viewing (even Mrs. Woody watched them!) and really did show the work and technology now used to make highly accurate models. I have always thought though that whilst building a really good model shows the skill of the builder the kit designer is the really skilled person having to both desígn all the parts to be accurate as well as being capable of being assembled even by someone as inept as me!

      Delete
  2. Ha. Don’t believe that for a minute.

    Hornby was fascinating.

    Mrs B

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a lot of history to Hornby, unfortunately it has been one of those companies that has had more lean times than good ones over the years but they do survive. There seems to be some financial difficulties again but hopefully they will over come them. They have of course lost Simon and Montana who were the major characters in the Hornby TV programme as well as within the business. That TV show certainly didn't do them any harm!

    ReplyDelete