Search this blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Brook to stream but not canal!

As I contemplated whether I should take up boating instead of cycling given the amount of rain in recent days it surprisingly stopped! So out on the bike and as I was passing and questions have been asked in the comments to this blog, I took in the delights of the canal. A few days ago I noted that it had all but dried up and was almost like a small brook during a drought. Today it had advanced to slight stream status but certainly given the amount of rain I was expecting something more watery and river like at least! 

Flooding 2024

Strangely, turning 180 degrees the water behind the lock was almost brimming the canal sides with water cascading out of the closed lock gates at a faster speed then Mrs. Woody can order an internet shop! I'll be in trouble for that!

Strangely, turning 180 degrees the water behind the lock was almost brimming the canal sides with water cascading out faster then Mrs. Woody can order an internet shop!

That would make an interesting shower!


I still have no idea why one side of the lock is full whilst the other side looks drought like.

Back in the Man Cave the Tiger build is almost at a point of being finished. The tools and cables are fitted and the whole model has been airbrushed with a coat of matt varnish. It certainly looks like a Tiger now which is more than can be said for the ones in that fantastic film Kelly's Hero's. Despite being made in the late 1960's less than 15 years after the end of World War 2, there were no working Tiger tanks left by then apart from a handful of static ones and the running one that is now at the Bovington Tank Museum in the UK. The film makers had Russian T34 tanks converted to look like Tiger tanks! More fascinating facts on the background to this film are on Wikipedia - click here.

Dragon Tiger tank

Dragon Tiger tank

Dragon Tiger tank

Dragon Tiger tank

 

2 comments:

  1. I feel I should know the answer to this canal question, but it is eluding me. And therefore annoying me. I may be in the company of those who may know later this week, so will try to remember to ask. Good for you for getting on your bike. 🙂

    Mrs B

    ReplyDelete
  2. So. I went to a funeral and discussed disappearing canals. The two main theories put forward for the disappearing water were either that somewhere in that “pond” (the term for the water between locks) but not visible in the photographs, the bank structure had been damaged or collapsed, causing the water to disappear, or, maintenance was being carried out and the pond had been drained to facilitate this.

    Mrs B

    ReplyDelete