Search this blog

Monday, October 14, 2024

Gravy or paint?

Time for some painting which seems a common theme of my life as of late! However in this case a more pleasurable painting operation involving the Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk. Having got to the stage where the main parts had been assembled it was prudent to give the model a coat of primer. In this case a light grey which just happened to be to hand which was handy! There are not a lot of places to hold this small model when airbrushing it so a cocktail stick was carefully inserted where the propeller will eventually fit - oh nasty!

Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk11B

That cocktail stick did its job though and all the model got a good coating of primer.

Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk11B

Whilst the primer was drying I was looking at top coat options. I could search through the WMD HQ paint store to find suitable colours or I could use what was supplied in the kit. The supplied paint did not exactly look inspiring, in fact it looked more lumpy than any gravy I have ever made without the close supervision of Mrs. Woody. However, I decided it was worth a go to see if I could thin it out and actually have something workable unlike my gravy! Mixing some of the lumps with some thinners and stirring like mad for some time actually produced a paint like substance so it was time to see if it actually would come out of the airbrush or just clog it.

Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk11B

Pleasantly surprisingly it did actually spray well! So the first part of the paint scheme is now applied. I just need to let that dry thoroughly and then see if I can get the darker brown lumpy gravy paint to thin out suitably to airbrush or even brush paint. Now did Mrs. W want gravy with her dinner......

Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk11B

 

No comments:

Post a Comment