Search this blog

Monday, September 11, 2023

Trunking and ducting!

Moving on with the progress on my 00 gauge layout it is time to start incorporating those small details that add a little to the realism I mentioned in the last post. In this case the 'dummy' point motors that are to be added to the points to recreate the real life situation require power and control cables from the signal box. I am some way off adding a signal box yet but have a model in stock!

PECO Signal Box Kit

Not your traditional looking signal box but it actually dates from the 1960s and is based upon the one at Potters Bar. I look forward to building it to see just how it will fit in with my imagined scene!

Back to the power and control cables, these need to come from the signal box to the point motors and when I fit them the signals. To that end I have added some concrete cable trunking running at the side of the track within which the cables would be protected and easy to maintain. These come from a Wills kit. The ducts that would take the cables under the track and protect them as well as allowing easy installation as the cable is simply fed through them avoiding digging up the track! I just used some plastic rod cut to size and laid across the track. They need to painted orange after I have finished ballasting.

My Last Great Project,

With the trunking and ducting in place I could get on with the job of ballasting. A time consuming job which needs to be done right to look right. Just the area around the points and crossing has taken me over two hours to lay and glue but I have done most of the board now so hopefully a few more hours should see that finished.

My Last Great Project,

You can see the cable trunking running along the lower level of the tracks.

My Last Great Project,

My Last Great Project,

Hopefully the hot weather will mean the glue dries quickly!


No comments:

Post a Comment