Search this blog

Sunday, September 20, 2026

All this knowledge just because I model a scene where a dog has relieved itself against a lamp post!

 

My Last Great Project,

Just adding a little realism (hopefully!) to the platform scene, we have a man with his daughter and his trusty canine companion Fido. Now Fido has done what many a canine does and that is leave a puddle against a lamp post as pointed to by the red arrow! Not a scene that you see very often on a model railway but a dab of gloss varnish created the puddle and Fido is from a  pack of Woodlands scenic dogs complete with fire hydrants (it is an American pack!). 

Now calling a canine Fido probably ages me but you do not hear dogs names like Fido, Rex, Duke, Rover, Shep, Spot, Skip, Butch., Bessie, Daisy, Dolly, Duchess, Flossie, Queenie or  Sadie and yes I did Google that lot! Apparently todays names (again using the delights of Goggle) are ones like Charlie, Max, Cooper, Milo, Teddy,  Luna, Bella, Daisy, Lucy and Coco. In fact when I just Googles Fido to see the origins of the name I found that Google throws up - 'FIDO stands for Fast Identity Online, an open set of technology standards created to replace traditional passwords with secure, passwordless login methods like biometrics and hardware keys.' In fact there is even a FIDO Alliance! Well, there you go - another school day! 

However I was persistent and found that the canine related Fido relates to an Italian dog and Wikipedia states ' Fido was an Italian dog that came to public attention in 1943 because of his demonstration of unwavering loyalty to his dead master. Fido was the subject of articles appearing in many Italian and international magazines and newspapers, was featured in newsreels throughout Italy, and was bestowed several honours, including a public statue erected in his honour

All this knowledge just because I model a scene where a dog has relieved itself against a lamp post!

No comments:

Post a Comment