Search this blog

Friday, September 4, 2026

What have we been saddled with at the Rocks By Rail Museum?

What have we been saddled with at the Rocks By Rail Museum?

Rocks by Rail Museum,

Well, it is the saddle tank to steam loco Elizabeth that has returned from repairs at an outside specialist contractor.

Rocks by Rail Museum,

Unloading involved lifting slings and the CAT.

Rocks by Rail Museum,

And this is where it was heading to - the Lowmac wagon which already had the cab to the loco on it.

Rocks by Rail Museum,

Because there are two valves and a number of bolts protruding from the bottom of the tank it has to be rested on some wooden supports.

Rocks by Rail Museum,

I got entrusted to move the supports around to miss the protrusions and there was not a lot of margin for error - no pressure then!

Rocks by Rail Museum,

Due to my shill or more likely luck, the saddle tank was lowered into place without incident! Richard took the slings off and the Lowmac with its load was taken back to a siding where the tank and cab will await further work.

Whilst at that end of the line I did notice this.

Rocks by Rail Museum,

I am informed that these sleepers will be used to demark the edge off the narrow gauge exhibits from the gassed area. The sleepers will stop the gravel which is to be laid from spilling onto the grass.

Back in the Restoration Shed things are progressing with the Southern Brake Van.

Rocks by Rail Museum,

John was also bust stripping paint from the grab handles that he has removed.

Rocks by Rail Museum,

Whilst walking round the brake van I noticed something that I really should have noticed before.

Rocks by Rail Museum,

At various points along the chassis are welded in  markings for British Steel who produced the chassis members - all the wording is upside down though!

Going outside I noticed Andy and Richard working on the mesh to the ballast washer.

Rocks by Rail Museum,

They have remade the mesh with stronger stainless steel individual rods which needed tying together.

Rocks by Rail Museum,

They have been using welding wire twisted in place - a labour intensive task indeed! As they had done about a third of it I helpfully suggested that rebar gun would be a lot easier! They had never heard of such a thing so I used the wonders of the internet to illustrate and all I got was 'Why could I not have suggested that before they started!' My defence of only just seeing them do the work did not go down well! I think there may be a rebar gun arriving soon!

For me? Well for the first time since June I got Morris Mower out!

Rocks by Rail Museum,

He obviously enjoyed his Summer break and started first time before leading me on a vegetational butchery spree!

Rocks by Rail Museum,

With the amount of rain that we are now getting it may be a while before Morris takes his Winter break!

No comments:

Post a Comment