As is my usual butterfly approach to things, I decided to deal with a model I have had a long time but never run mainly as I needed to DCC chip it.
This is the Accurascale Deltic from the first batch that they released. It was a game changing model in terms of detail and the innovative manner in which things were approached. However, that also brought issues. Innovation wise, the great thing about putting a DCC chip in this loco is that there is a hatch on top of the roof held in place by magnets that opens up just for this purpose. Great! However, if you have a sound chip you also need to fit a speaker which was not a standard fitment in DCC ready locos and that means the body has to come off the chassis! Not great! There is a good reason why this is not great. Read on!
Never seen on a ready to run model before, Accurascale included the safety chains between the bogies and the body that make sure that the bogies does not separate from the body in the event of an accident. The chain is tiny and is held in place on the bogies by a strip of etched brass (why do I shudder whenever I say 'etched brass' - oh yes that would be because I never get on with such parts in kit building!) and some sort of plastic clip that you have to release from the body in order to separate the body from the chassis. Of course there are four chains - 2 on each bogie so the potential for disaster is quadrupled!





No comments:
Post a Comment