Search this blog

Monday, March 28, 2022

WMD out and about!

Mrs. Woody is off work for the next few days and with some good weather today we headed off to a place we have not seen for years - Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire. 

Sherwood Forest

Sherwood Forest

Famous for both Robin Hood and the Major Oak which is the oak tree that Robin was supposed to have hidden in a cavity to escape The Sherriff of Nottingham and his men. It may or may not be true but let's be optimistic about matters and obviously there are many people who enjoy both the visitor center and the remaining forest surrounding the Major Oak. The oak will never win any best looking tree prizes but never the less looks impressive being between 800 and 1000 years old. It certainly did not look any different in the intervening years from when I last saw it but unfortunately the passing years have had their affect on me!

Sherwood Forest

Sherwood Forest

Although Sherwood Forest is a shadow of its former size you can still find your self alone and in some wonderful scenery. A great day out and well worth a visit.

Sherwood Forest

As a final note and in my usual way I always look out for signs that I find amusing. This one in the forest made me smile. Do cyclists and horse riders need to slow down to pick up pedestrians and picnics? Sorry - just my sense of humour!

Sherwood Forest

Leaving the Forest I made a rather unusual discovery that made the day even better but more on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment