Search this blog

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

There's a Tiger in my loft!

For those of a certain age you may recall that ESSO used to have adverts stating that if you used their petrol you would get a tiger in your tank. Not sure if the tiger was happy but here is a YouTube link to an advert from the 50's or 60's click here and the more refined 1990's version click here. However on the limited motoring budget that WMD has my fuel is sourced from the cheapest sources so I ma more likely to end up with a snail in my tank! However I digress! Following through on one of Mrs. Woody's Christmas chore list items (yes there are seasonal ones too!) I went into the loft to retrieve some Christmas stuff - hopefully some of it to wrap my presents! 

Going into the WMD loft is always a mixed emotion. Firstly is the amount of stuff in it which brings about an emotion of despair and thoughts that I really need to sort it out and get rid of some stuff. Secondly the emotion of discovery as long forgotten items become unearthed. Getting t o the required Christmas items required things to be moved. Doing this I discovered the Tiger. Well actually three Tigers. I can confirm that rather than the lovable feline version these were three 1/35th kits for the massive Tiger tank from WW2.

Dragon Tiger tank

I recall buying these on New Years Day 2019 at the Newark Toy Fair. A guy dealing in Beanie Bears had a few kits on his stall including these three. Having a browse one of the boxes felt very heavy although they were sealed. The price of £25 each or two for £40 and being the Dragon brand encouraged me to open my wallet and surprisingly I got all three for £60 which for these kits is a bargain.

Getting them home I had these three.

Dragon Tiger tank

Dragon Tiger tank

Dragon Tiger tank

The heavy box has parts for two Tigers in it which is a bonus and the bargain nature of these kits was further highlighted when I found all this quality etched and turned brass in one of the boxes. £60 well spent I think! 

I just need to get round to building them to have my own fleet of Tigers.

Dragon Tiger tank

Also found in my loft maneuvers were these.

Sketch a Graph

Both Mrs. W and me had these as kids - hers is the one with the quality box. Based on a draughts board instrument the toy allowed you to trace items by inserting a pen in one part and then tracing the item to be replicated with th plastic point. It was never particularly successful as the rubber suction pad fastening it to a table never really was strong enough but we both had fun with ours. What do I do with them now? Have to wait until I clear out the loft but that is something for next year and no doubt will be on Mrs. W's Spring Cleaning Chore list - roll on 2023!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment