Search this blog

Thursday, December 15, 2022

Digging a deep hole!

Mrs. Woody often says that I dig a big hole for myself! However in this case someone else is digging a big hole at WMD HQ as the foundations are dug for the conservatory replacement. They are certainly doing a better job than I could!

Conservatory rebuild

Apparently building regulations require the foundations match the original house foundations. Being built on clay I knew they would be relatively deep perhaps 3 foot or so but I wasn't expecting this!

Conservatory rebuild

5 foot deep! There is going to be a lot of concrete going into that foundation but hopefully I can rest assured that there will be no subsidence issues in the future. 

In the meantime the cats are missing their cat conservatory. Here is Holly looking out in bemusement or maybe she is on guard in case I drop in the hole!

Conservatory rebuild

Whilst all this was going on Mr Beecham visited me complete with his latest model a Tiger tank> a fantastic model which I forgot to photograph so I will need to get him to send a photo. He also brought some model railway locos. It turns out his Dad had an n gauge layout which is stored in Mr. B's garage. We talked about the relative merits of n gauge which I had mentioned in a post a few days ago. The biggest is size and just to give an illustration the difference here are two photos showing this clearly. Firstly are two class 33 locos.


n gauge

Secondly are two Class 08s. This photo clearly shows the detail that digital photography allows as you can see all the gathered dust. Must get the duster out! Model railways need dusting? Never seen that on Mrs W's chore list and probably never will!

n gauge

The main thing to me that these phots show is that although the 00 gauge models will have much finer detail the n gauge locos do have a relative level of detail for their size. Pity the dust doesn't scale out! Obviously other modellers can have different views and you can soon get involved in deep arguments on the merits of both scales depending on the preference of those doing the arguing. For me I just like both scales but saying that can see me digging a hole for myself in certain circles so I will stop there which would surprise Mrs. W!


No comments:

Post a Comment