Search this blog

Monday, April 1, 2024

Reunited - The sequal!

Rocks by Rail Museum

 It has been a while but today I was reunited with this point lever at the Rocks By Rail Museum. Being a quarry day we were shunting and much as I feared that the weather would be a washout it was actually dry apart from ten minutes of drizzle.

Rocks by Rail Museum

Rocks by Rail Museum

The point lever however got heavier and heavier to operate as the day went on and what with coupling, uncoupling, putting on brakes and taking off brakes on the wagons being shunted I am shattered! However a good day and reasonable numbers of visitors on both days making it even better.

I had a chance to examine the face excavator a bit more closely and see the controls which are a lot different to the drag line excavator.

Rocks by Rail Museum

Rocks by Rail Museum

I must admit I prefer the drag line! It may look a lot more complex to operate but most of those levers are air assisited unlike the face excavator where everything operates through brute strength!

Rocks by Rail Museum

Rocks by Rail Museum

I did have to smile to myself as I went for lunch and looked in on the steam loco crew.

Rocks by Rail Museum

Their lunch had been cooking whilst they worked with these foil wrapped baked potatoes cooking on top of the firebox! Given how tempting they looked they were almost un-united from their owners!

Rocks by Rail Museum




No comments:

Post a Comment