Search this blog

Friday, April 5, 2024

Sleeper time!

Time to cut some sleepers from the copper clad strips that were in the WMD Stores. You have got to admire the Stores as they do have good stocks of required materials or as Mrs. Woody would term it, junk!

The sleepers were cut to match the plastic sleepers of the track. Where the rail is to be soldered to them I pre-soldered some spots which should make that process a bit easier. I also remembered to cut through the copper film so that there would not be any short circuits and just to make sure I had cut right the way through I tested each sleeper with a circuit tester - work smarter not harder as I get older!

My Last Great Project,

The sleepers were then glued with superglue to the already glued in place plywood subbases. That s a lot of glue in one sentance!

My Last Great Project,

Then the plastic sleepers were removed from the rails where they went over the copper clad sleepers. The four tracks at the back of the baseboard will need a similar procedure but as they will be hidden I have some copper clad sheet in stock which might make life easier.

Once I get the rest of the track in place, glued down and wired I can then cut through the rail. Hopefully I havent forgotten to do anything in this process or you could say I was sleepering on the job!
 
My Last Great Project,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment