Search this blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Mind the gap!

The phrase Mind the Gap is synonymous with the London Underground and you can get T shirts and other items of clothing with that phrase emblazoned over them! However in my case my wardrobe does not boast such attire but I do have a phobia about big gaps between model platforms and the coaches they are supposed to serve. As model railways use curves far tighter than you would find on real railways (most model railway curves would see passengers hurled across the coach with G force as the train went round them) if you have platforms on a curve they tend to end up with a scale 3 foot gap meaning that the passengers would have to make a 3 foot leap to get onto or off the coach. Not good! In the case of my narrow gauge layout the platform is on a leap but because coaches used on such systems tend to be close to the ground platforms are usually close to ground level. This is an advantage I have taken in starting the platform on my layout in that the coach can in effect over ride the platform surface. The platform itself is supposed to represent a wood planked structure. A piece of card to fit in the loop was cut to shape and balsa sheet cut into strips to represent the planks. At the moment progress is slow but we have the beginnings and there is no gap! I am undecided if the wooden platform will look right but sometimes you just have to try! In addition I need something to do whilst I am still waiting for the model water to dry. Prod of finger still shows it has yet to dry!

C
009 gauge layout,

009 gauge layout,

Whilst going through some stores at WMD HQ I unearthed this in my stash of kits and think it could make a good first kit in my 12 in 22 as I am going to call my target of building 12 kits this year.

Heller Scania 141

Heller Scania 141

When will I learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment