Search this blog

Monday, January 3, 2022

Pour it on!

Pour it on! That us something I would say when the cream comes round at desert time. However in this case it relates to the river on my narrow gauge layout. Having put some more 'greenery' in parts of the river bed and banks to simulate river weed it was time to pour the water or in this case the resin model water - you certainly would not want to drink it. The bottle even has a warning not to drink it but then takeaway coffees warn that the coffee may be hot! A final look around the river bed and banks gave me sufficient confidence that it was time to create water! What can go wrong????

009 gauge layout, Javis - Simulated Countryside Water

The product itself is made by Jarvis and marketed as their Simulated Countryside Water. It comes in a 250mm bottle and the instructions say to pour it in 1mm layers which take 48 to 72 hours to dry. Well the question is going to be how many finger prints will I leave in the surface as my eagerness and curiosity get the better of me? Only time will tell! The water pours but is very thick but should find its own level before it sets. I have been wise enough to seal each end of the river to avoid a recreation of a water fall feature as the resin cascades down either side of the baseboard. Again how successful that will be only time will tell. You may have deduced that I have my concerns and I have to admit apart from a pond on one layout this is the first major water feature that I have modelled. As they say - Never too old to learn! 

The two photos below show that the resin still needs to find its level but then again rivers do not always have a flat calm surface so at the moment I am not too concerned. It also shows that my 'greenery' and river bed appear as I was hoping so I will keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way. I was toying with the idea of adding a fish or two but thought better of it - maybe a shark might have been interesting though! 

I have covered this first pour of the resin with a piece of card to dry to minimise dust settling on the surface but there will be at least one further layer added. Surprisingly I have only used about one third of the bottles contents so far.

009 gauge layout, Javis - Simulated Countryside Water

009 gauge layout, Javis - Simulated Countryside Water

Stay tuned to see if the swear jar gains any contributions over the next few days as I wait for this resin to firstly stay in the river bed and secondly dry without issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment