Search this blog

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Putty time!

I managed to grab a couple of hours on progressing the Heller Scania 141 LB today. Given that the resin model water on my narrow gauge layout is still drying out I cannot progress with that at the moment so the Scania benefits my full attention - after Mrs. Woody of course!

One of the jobs I did apart from sanding a lot of parts was to glue the fuel tank ends to the main tank body. The fit is not good with a gap around most of it which when painted would show up unless filled. Not the easiest of filling jobs but in my continued quest to work smarter not harder I have used Vallejo plastic putty. This is an acrylic putty that is like a smooth paste. I used a paint brush to brush it along the joints and then wetted the brush to again run along the joints wetting the putty which then sinks into the gaps. It will probably need two or three goes to get it right but a lot easier than conventional fillers and sanding.

Heller Scania 141 LB

Heller Scania 141 LB

AI am getting near the point where I am going to have to start to paint the chassis in order to progress that but there are still a few more parts that need to be added. In the meantime work on the cab has started. You can see the continued issues with warped and twisted parts with the inner rear cab wall which will need some bending to get it to line up with the cab floor. More fun times then! 

Heller Scania 141 LB

Looking at the workbench it certainly looks a bit different to a week ago which is nice when you do see progress being made. As you can also see the wheels have now been dechromed using the Mr. Muscle oven cleaner. There was mention today by Mrs. W. that the oven could indeed do with a clean so at some stage I will have to bite the bullet or find a very convincing excuse!

Heller Scania 141 LB


No comments:

Post a Comment