Search this blog

Monday, October 17, 2022

Building a viaduct.

Getting back to My Last Great Project I need to build a couple of viaducts to span the dropped area in one of the baseboards. I had decided to use kits to build these. I have to accept that life is too short to get involved in complex projects that I could actually get a better result from using a readily available kit rather than scratch building. The kits of choice for me in this case are cardboard and produced by Metcalfe.

Metcalfe Viaduct Kit

I have built some of their kits before and always been impressed by the quality and ease of construction. Card kits may not be everyone's choice but with care and some weathering they can make really great structures.

The Metcalfe lit has a plain card core that is then covered with an outer sheeting of brick printed card.

Metcalfe Viaduct Kit


Metcalfe Viaduct Kit

Gluing the sub-structure together gives a strong and stable base for the rest of the kit. There are two of these two arch sections and then two end boxes that provide the approach to the arch section.

Metcalfe Viaduct Kit

Having built the four sections it was time to see just how accurate or otherwise my baseboard frame measurements and construction were. To my utter surprise the various components slotted into the dropped section with no gaps or tightness! Unbelievable! Maybe I should have more faith in my abilities?

Metcalfe Viaduct Kit

Metcalfe Viaduct Kit

Flushed with success I started the job of cladding the sub-structure with the brickwork. This involved some thin printed card with a series of flaps that are glued to the sub-structure. All very clever and the pictures probably show it better then my words can describe it!



Hopefully some more progress tomorrow unless Mrs. Woody has other plans for my free time!


No comments:

Post a Comment