Search this blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Repetitive Strain Injury!

No model making or related matters for me today. A bit of a busy few days have gone by with much of my time nursing the sickly WMD HQ fleet of cats who appear to have picked up something that they are sharing with each other. At times the house has been more like a cat themed vomitorium but with some vet visits, a few tests, some pills and a now empty wallet I am hoping that the corner has been turned. I hope so for my sanity. So far I have hand fed over 700 cat biscuits to the two most sickly cats who refused to eat. They like to play the two in, one out game which makes that 700 biscuits feel more like over a thousand! The things we do for our pets! Mrs. Woody says I am so good at the hand feeding that it would not be right for her to take over from me! I think she just wants to avoid the Repetitive Strain Injury that I seem to be developing from this task!

Given no model making time I did spend a few minutes searching down a spare motor for the Hornby Open Cab Pannier tank I featured a few posts ago. That should arrive soon but I think I will be looking for more spares for some more locos pulled out of the gift box I got given last week. 

First off a rather nice LMS express loco the Duchess of Sutherland. This looks to be a 1980s Hornby model with what was not the most reliable drive train. The motor was in the tender and the tender wheels were driven. It had the advantage that the moulding of the locomotive itself did not have to be compromised to get a motor inside but the tender drive was not the most reliable or powerful and many modellers found them disappointing. I can not comment on that yet as for some yet to be determined reason this model is a non-runner. However it is such a nice model that it deserves some TLC so when I have a chance I will dismantle it and determine what is wrong.

Hornby Duchess of Sutherland

Hornby Duchess of Sutherland

Hornby Duchess of Sutherland

Hornby Duchess of Sutherland

The second loco is an earlier model from Hornby of the Class 37. Still carrying its pre TOPS number it would not in real life have been in the blue livery for very long having been repainted from the green that was common place during much of the 1960s. The model dates probably from the early 1970s as the power bogie only has 4 wheels, not the 6 that the real loco had. I have no idea why Triang originally did this and Hornby continued it but they also did it with their class 31. It is a dirty model but has a certain charm even though just like the Hornby Duchess of Sutherland it is a non runner so I will need to investigate! In the meantime a few photos posed on my terminus model which looks 1970s so suits it well.

Hornby Blue Class 37

Hornby Blue Class 37

Hornby Blue Class 37

Hopefully the Vomitorium issues will be ending but I need to do a thorough house clean so I can see that being tomorrows task - Can you get Repetitive Strain Injury from polishing? I don't think that Mrs. Woody would belive me even if you did!


No comments:

Post a Comment