Search this blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Viaduct progress and the price of shirts!

I should clarify that the price of shirts is not connected to the viaduct build I am currently doing. However given the current economic climate and the squeeze on the cost of living I was slightly taken aback by this 'offer' in Stamford today where Mrs. Woody and myself had lunch out and a look around the town today.

Stamford

I have no doubt that the shirts are of a quality but just how many people can afford £120 for four?  Luckily my wardrobe does not need any further shirts, although, as Mrs. W would claim, most of my shirts could be from the costume department of an 1980s TV program, so my rather thin looking wallet remained shut! 

Anyway back in the sanctuary of the WMD HQ Man Cave, further work took place on the Metcalfe viaduct that is currently being built. The brick sheets have been added to the substructure. As with most Metcalfe kits the fit is good and the parts all went together easily.

Metcalfe Viaduct Kit,

The yellow card is a strengthener that goes inside the viaduct's piers.

Metcalfe Viaduct Kit,

One of the issues with a card kit is that the edges generally show the white of the card they are made of because the card is scored on the outside to enable a sharp edge to be created. Anything white tends to stick out on a model so the way to hide it is to use an artists pencil in a suitable brick colour and run it along the edges. The 'before' and 'after' photos below show the results.

Metcalfe Viaduct Kit,

Metcalfe Viaduct Kit,

With a bit of weathering later on those joints will all but disappear. Dropping what is built so far into the dropped baseboard gives me a better idea of how this will eventually look. I'm liking it - certainly more than I would 4 shirts for £120!

Metcalfe Viaduct Kit,



No comments:

Post a Comment