Search this blog

Thursday, February 9, 2023

Oversized jigsaw puzzle!

A day at the Rocks By Rail Museum today which is always something to look forward to. Sometimes the day is planned out and I know what I am going to be doing and other times it can be a total surprise. Today was one of those surprise days! Last week I thought that the project to create a shed between two containers to store Harriot the JCB and the CAT was well underway and I could get on with other things. Due to a shortage of bodies at the Museum today I got pulled back into this project. We finished levelling off the hardcore to form the floor of the shed. 

Rocks by Rail Museum

Rocks by Rail Museum

It was nice that the work area was a sun trap!

Then it was time to move onto the shed part of this project. We have a head start - or do we? We have a corrugated shed in modular dismantled form that has come from Scunthorpe. The problem is that there is no plan or picture of the erected shed. Therefore we are trying to build a jigsaw with no picture or as I said building an Airfix Lancaster bomber with the instructions from a Spitfire kit. Either way this is a problem. We thought that we had it figured out with the spray painted numbers which should provide some clue as to what parts match up with each other.

Rocks by Rail Museum

Only thing is there no matching 5 and 6 or 4 and 7 depending on how they were numbered. Even when you put parts together that look as though they go together they end up to big or small for the rest of the panels. A 14 foot wide front panel does not match the 12 foot wide roof trusses! So it looks as though we will have to make it up as we go along hoping that we can produce what we want with this kit of parts. It may not be that Lancaster bomber when we finish but it should at least be a bomb-proof structure! 

Rocks by Rail Museum

Rocks by Rail Museum

At least when I go next week I should know what I am involved in even if I don't know what I am doing, but as Mrs. Woody would say, no change there then!

No comments:

Post a Comment