Search this blog

Saturday, February 4, 2023

Oversized lego?

For what it is worth various sources on the internet say that there are over 400 billion Lego bricks in the World. Roughly that means that there are 80 bricks for every person on Earth. Quite a statistic. When I was a child, a long time ago before anyone asks, Lego was very much a toy. Supposedly of educational value but as my creations were usually architecturally and engineeringly challenged and  fell down the only thing I really learned from it was how to tidy the mess away! 

Lego has moved on a great deal from that time and now I think I would be right to say that it has moved on to become an adult pastime. Looking at the models which can now be built and the way in which people are creating their own highly complex and realistic models really means to me that it has become another branch of model making and nothing wrong with that. I have to admit there are some of the technical models that do tempt me such as the Cat D11bulldozer. A mere £430 buys you something that would no doubt take some time and be challenge to build. And of course unlike my normal plastic kits you can take Lego apart and build it again. However I suspect that should Mrs. Woody detect the arrival of £430 worth of  educational constructional heaven I would not be in best books. So at the moment that idea of the bulldozer remains just an idea.

On my journey out today with Mrs. W, I came across evidence that a local farmer may also have an interest in Lego but maybe also has limitations on what can be done at home. However having a farm gives excuses to do things and do them in a big way and this has obviously allowed the use of this oversized Lego.

Oversized Lego

Those locating pegs are like those on Lego although with these bricks I guess you need a forklift to play with them! 

Oversized Lego

Oversized Lego

You even get the half sized brick to give a straight edge to the end of the wall! 

On a more serious note I have never seen these sorts of pre-fabricated sectional blocks with the Lego style of locating peg so I presume this is a fairly new development. Maybe it does show that toys can provide solutions to problems.

On arrival back at WMD HQ my discrete perusal of the internet for Lego Cat D11 kits was interrupted by the arrival of this.

009 gauge layout,

009 gauge layout,

Having found time last night to look at available backscenes for my 009 narrow gauge layout, this one caught my eye. £7.29 including next day delivery seemed more than reasonable for a photo backscene so it arrived in less then 24 hours from ordering it. The wonders of modern retail. 

One thing is certain though and that is my backscene board won't be finished in less then 24 hours unless I built it in Lego.....





No comments:

Post a Comment