Search this blog

Saturday, March 11, 2023

Testing times for Woody!

The last thing you expect to be doing on a Saturday is an exam and its been a while since I last sat down to do one. However that is exactly what I found myself doing today. In order to go trackside during operating sessions at the Rocks By Rail Museum I have to pass certain competency tests. The first one is the understand of the Rules Book. All railways have a rule book which puts into formal terms how the railway is run and operated and the responsibilities of the various levels of staff. 

Rocks by Rail Museum

Two hours and a bit after starting I finished - it was not a short exam! I will find out my result in a few weeks time.

Rocks by Rail Museum

To be honest I felt somewhat fuzz headed after that exam but having got back to WMD HQ and after a short nap on the sofa I was back in the zone as they say! It was time to do a bit more testing of myself with some modelling. I did add a couple more decals to the Airfix Dodge 1 1/2 Ton Personnel Carrier. However as this is a slow job I decided that I would commence a critical element for my 009 narrow gauge layout that would enable me to move on with the scenic work. I have a cattle grid made for the road at the back of the layout. Cattle grids are there to stop cattle and sheep from getting out of an area but there are times when there is a need for someone to get passed the grid with an animal such as a horse. Therefore there is usually a gate to the side which allows passage by our four legged friend when accompanied.

I could have had a dig around for a suitable gate either in my scrap box of useful parts (or junk as Mrs. Woody would call it!) or looked for one on the internet. However I have materials and a pack of plastic strip was dug out of the WMD Stores and so further testing of myself commenced!

I usually keep a pack of these small plastic strips in stock as they are so handy. I thiunk that they are produced by Slaters and I usually end up buying a pack from Squires when they are at a model railway exhibition that I attend.

009 gauge layout

The basic gate is made up - nothing is planned apart from a basic size which is one of my usual traits!

009 gauge layout

After an hour or so I have what I want. Mounting it on a small piece of plastic sheet should make it easier to install on the layout - note the word 'should'!

009 gauge layout

Testing it in position on the layout and I think this is one test that I have passed!

009 gauge layout

Just needs painting and then I can get on with the scenic work. Hopefully that won't be so testing!

No comments:

Post a Comment