Search this blog

Saturday, March 18, 2023

Am I actually getting anywhere?

I have periods when despite working on projects the actual progress is visually minimal. I then think to myself am I actually getting anywhere? It is something that other modellers I have talked to also go through. The reality for most of us is that we are usually working on several projects all of which are at a stage where we have to spend time doing jobs on them which whilst critical to progress them to a finish don't actually show much progress.  I have to remind myself of that fact and in many ways this blog is a good way to have a look back and actually see the amount of progress made on things. Mrs. Woody would probably conclude that I make more progress on my models then her list of jobs for me. 

At the moment I am painting the Dapol Platform Figures, weathering the Airfix Dodge 1 1/2 Ton Personnel Carrier and trying to move my 009 narrow gauge layout on scenically. I may also dabble briefly in some other project that catches my eye in the Man Cave and as anyone who knows me realises, I am easily distracted!

This evenings work saw the bridge over the stream on my 009 gauge layout weathered. A steel structure like this is supposed to portray, will usually begin to show the signs of rust after a few years. In addition the white it is painted in just looks too clean! 

009 gauge layout

However I did not want to create a rust bucket bridge but one where it was obvious that it had been maintained but was getting to the point where some more paint was required. My chosen method of creating this type of rust was to use a small piece of sponge. This was dabbed into some rust paint and then further dabbing on a piece of paper towel saw most of the paint taken off! Even more dabbing with the sponge saw a random rust pattern applied to the steel sides of the bridge.

009 gauge layout

As I need the bridge finished in order to start ballasting the track I gave the base a coat of black paint. If  there are any gaps in the ballast then they won't show up as much as if I had left the base in a light colour. Just need to seal it with a coat of varnish and then the completion of this small project will enable much more progress to take place on the main layout.

009 gauge layout

Meanwhile on the Airfix Dodge 1 1/2 Ton Personnel Carrier I seem to be spending days adding an earth coloured wash to weather it. However it is beginning to get to the point where it looks as though it actually is a working vehicle and not a showroom special. 

Airfix Dodge 1 1/2 Ton Personnel Carrier

Airfix Dodge 1 1/2 Ton Personnel Carrier

So yes I am actually getting somewhere especially when I look back at what it looked like a few weeks ago. 

Airfix Dodge 1 1/2 Ton Personnel Carrier












No comments:

Post a Comment