Search this blog

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Welded to the toilet!

After yesterdays post regarding repairs to the toilets at the Rocks By Rail Museum involving welding,I did not think anything more about it until about 1.30 this morning when I became welded to the toilet with a stomach bug. I know, far too much information but it knocked me for six, so today was a day of slowly doing things.

With the brickwork for the step done it was time to clean up the rubbish and there was a lot of that.

Conservatory rebuild

The soil got sieved and the hardcore broken down to form an internal base within the step. I could have finished sorting it all today but I was taking things slowly - just in case Mrs. Woody wonders why it is not finished!

Conservatory rebuild

I even have a step now with the wood board in place! Just need the slabs to put on top.

After the clear up I retired to my Man Cave where some ballasting on Chalkdon my 009 narrow gauge layout features in my latest YouTube insomnia curing video!

I usually do ballasting in short sections to avoid the job becoming boring so todays length of track was at the front of the layout around the newly installed bridge. I used kiln dried sand for the ballast and that was laid in place. Makes it look better already if you saw the picture in my post two days ago of what it looked like without the ballast.

009 gauge layout

Dilute PVA glue was applied with a syringe to glue the ballast in postion.

009 gauge layout

Having used a hair drier (sorry Mrs. W!) to warm up the ballast, the glue was already beginning to harden a few minutes after application.

009 gauge layout

How I managed to turn that simple job into a 22 minute video is a mystery but there are some hints and tips in it which may make ballasting easier if anyone reading this is about to do their layout.

Hope I have a more peaceful night - maybe I should watch my video to send me to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment