Search this blog

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Hairspray - and its not the movie!

On with further work on Chalkdon my 009 narrow gauge layout. I had several jobs in mind but as with the best laid plans, especially mine, things did not go according to plan! In fact I could have pulled my hair out but luckily I had hairspray in stock!

First item was to 'plant' the tree by the canal wharf. I have decided I like it in its position where it had been temporarily plonked for a few days. Before I did that though I needed to add a bit of the leaf foliage that had dropped off the foliage mat when I first applied it to the tree. Surprisingly my chosen adhesive was the aforementioned hairspray. I have had this spray for possibly nearly 20 years now and being cheap it is nice and sticky!

009 gauge layout

With the existing foliage sprayed I just scattered the loose leaf material over it and it stuck to the tree.

009 gauge layout

That looks better! Who would have thought that hairspray would be a good model making adhesive!

009 gauge layout

With tree now leafed up it was glued to the layout. Moving onto the next job which was that locos were hesitant on the wharf siding.  They would stall which I thought was a simple two minute track cleaning job. Wrong! After an hour or so I managed to figure out that in placed the plastic cobble stones either side of the track was loose and higher than the track. The result was that the loco wheels were being lifted clear of the track and loosing power. I addition the cobbles in the center of the track was tight in places and binding on the loco wheels. No choice but to lift the cobbles, adjust and re-glue. Of course the freshly 'planted' and glued tree did not make this job simple!

It does not look pretty but you sometimes have to be destructive to be constructive! 

009 gauge layout

With the adjustments made it has been re-glued and tested and works! Unfortunately I knocked the chimney off the narrow boat having only recently re-glued it! Luckily I still have most of my hair  - even if it is stuck back on with the hairspray!

009 gauge layout


 

No comments:

Post a Comment