Search this blog

Monday, July 31, 2023

Setting out.

I set out to do a lot of things. Sometimes I actually get them finished as I inform Mrs. Woody as she reviews her job list for me to do. This time though, the setting out is in relation to my 00 gauge layout. Having run the new Class 37 loco round it yesterday I had the urge to move things forward with the layout again so was in the right frame of mind to do some setting out. The crucial thing about any layout to make sure that trains run reliably is making sure the track is laid flat, level and it is aligned as required. With my layout the starting point is to get the point complex on the removable section aligned properly so that the rest of the track can be set out from that fixed point. Today, I have threaded all the already soldered wiring through the baseboard having put some petroleum jelly on the tie rods of the points to stop them getting glued up when I ballast the track.

My Last Great Project

My Last Great Project

Also I have removed the plastic sleepers at the baseboard joints ready for the copper clad strip sleepers to be inserted and the rail soldered to to to provide a robust joint. 

My Last Great Project

A true straight is useful to make sure the tracks are straight and this piece of aluminum I rescued from the patio doors that were removed as part of the building works earlier this year is perfect for the job.

My Last Great Project

With all that setting out done next job I need to set out to do is to glue this point complex down. I will be setting out to do that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment