Search this blog

Sunday, December 10, 2023

Butterfly!

If you have read this blog at various stages throughout its life you will know that I tend to have a number of projects on the go at any time and tend to wander and drift from one to another, much like a butterfly, without much planning and indeed introduce new ones on a random basis. That does tend to be my way of operating and no doubt some people find it strange and could not work like that themselves. For me though, it general does work. If I loose interest in a project or need to put it to one side whilst I come up with a solution for a problem I will. Nothing worse then having to do something that you are not in the right frame of mind to do - there is enough of that in real life money earning work not to have to do that in the spare time! Usually an old project comes back on the bench because something has happened to reinterest me like going to a model show, some form of media article or just talking to people which suddenly reignites that desire to get on with it. 

The above probably explains why Chalkdon my 009 gauge layout is suddenly getting attention again. It has stood over the Summer basically untouched but not forgotten. Going to the Sleaford Model Makers Show last month sparked off my desire to work on it again having bought some 3D printed models for it. The building of a couple of those has led to a rekindled interest with other things such as the level crossing gates featured a few posts ago, the ballasting and furniture making that were in yesterdays post. Today a few more things done which interestingly is bringing the model very close to being technically finished. I say technically as there are always details that can be added but the basic infrastructure is just about done with track laid, wired and apart from about 6 inches of track ballasted as well. Just about all the landscaping is done and all the buildings have been constructed and just need some detailing. Whether my current blast of work on the layout will see these final jobs complete before I divert onto another project is one of those big unknown factors especially for me! However I will make the most of it because in April of next year the layout will be four years old. If it is complete by then that will be a record for me!

In the meantime several tasks have been underway. First off is the ballasting which saw the line leading to the wharf sidings ballasted apart from around the points which still needs doing. However it has tidied up that area.

009 gauge layout

009 gauge layout

The thatched cottage was given to me and dates back to the Airfix range back probably in the 60s or 70s.. It is not a brilliantly painted building so I have decided to at least try and tidy it up which started by repainting the white. No need to avoid the black wooden structure as I would be repainting this too. The first two pictures are the before and the third is the white repaint. Listening to some music whilst I repaint the timber will hopefully sooth me to do a reasonable job!

009 gauge layout

009 gauge layout

009 gauge layout

Lastly I got some new Milliput. My three packs in the WMD stores being over 5 years old have now dried out, hardened and become unusable so I had to renew! 

009 gauge layout

Milliput is a two part expoxy paste that is mixed and can then be used for many things including making beat up old armchairs to go in model garage offices!

009 gauge layout

It may look rough but once painted and hidden away inside the garage it will be fine. There may even be a butterfly or two living in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment