Search this blog

Sunday, December 3, 2023

Its Snow Joke!

Overnight the snow came! The mere mention of snow even as a joke sends Mrs. Woody into a panic! However I have been brave and gone out through the thin layer that covers the garden into the Man Cave where I managed to do a few things. One was try to keep warm! Secondly was to glue the now painted extension to the Kato chassis for Maintenance Loco No 5. I have used some UHU which offers the ability to take it off again without too much problem should the need arise. Its down side is that it does need some time to fully dry - however I have patience although Mrs. W might disagree with that statement!

3D Printed Maintenance Loco No 5

The rest of the time was spent putting together some posts and hinges for the level crossing gates that will go on Chalkdon. For some reason I decided I wanted to make the gates capable of being opened and closed. Anyone looking for an easy life would just have modelled them shut to road traffic making the whole job a lot easier. 

To create my opening and closing gates I had to fabricate eight hinges which are a hoop of wire formed from some thin brass rod that I had in stock. These were inserted into pre-drilled holes in the posts and glued with a dab of superglue. The gates themselves had two holes drilled into the uprights on one side and into these an 'L' shaped piece of brass wire was superglued in. My measurements were good in that it all matches up! Amazing! 

Level Crossing Gates 009

Next stage is to finish the posts off with some capping pieces. After afew other small jobs the gates should be ready to paint and install.

No comments:

Post a Comment