Search this blog

Monday, July 8, 2024

A surprise find!

I was searching for something in the usual chaos of the Man Cave when I came across this box.

Kato Union Pacific Hoppers

I do tend to forget about things I have but once rediscovered I can usually recall the story behind them. In this case I bought them at the Nottingham Model Railway Show back in about 2004. I had just bought a Union Pacific sound fitted loco at the show, which was the firs sound loco I ever had, and wanted something for it to haul. This box was on the Club second hand stall and £15 bought it.

So what did I get. Well this is a Kato kit for three wagons which had all been built. 

Kato Union Pacific Hoppers

The box still had the instructions which showed that they were a relatively easy kit with no glue required as the box states.

Kato Union Pacific Hoppers

You can tell these were produced in a different era - take a look at the last page of the instructions with contact details for Kato in the USA. No email, no website, just an address for snail mail and phone and fax numbers!

Kato Union Pacific Hoppers

These are the three hopper cars that were in the box.

Kato Union Pacific Hoppers

Well put together and rather attractive - well to me anyway!

Kato Union Pacific Hoppers

Even though they depict 70 ton capacity hoppers they are small in comparison with my other freight cars, as you can see in the photo above, but that makes them even more attractive!

Kato Union Pacific Hoppers

They also come with Kadee couplers which is great and means they can get working on my USA switching layout straight away after 20 years in their box - certainly a surprise find!.

Kato Union Pacific Hoppers

Meanwhile, I rest my back, from a day of filling the new log store. That lot should keep Mrs. Woody warm for a few weeks at least but I will be surprised if she finds the log store on a cold wet day - that is my job!

Log store

 

No comments:

Post a Comment