Search this blog

Saturday, July 13, 2024

Back to some model making with some coincidence!

I have actually got back to some model making - at last. Last night I picked up the narrow gauge 3D printed engine shed that I bought from the 3D Printing For Charity stand at the recent Sleaford model railway exhibition and started to make the roof - the one part not included in the kit. Profits from the sale of 3D models from the stand go to the Lincs and Notts Air Ambulance which is a charitable organisation and a very worthy cause and one where my model making has actually made a small contribution to that charity. The coincidence is that this morning I watched as the Air Ambulance land in a nearby field. Obviously someone was in need of their attention which is not good but equally it was able to attend as the charitable funding allowed it to and who ever is in need stands a much greater chance of survival and recovery because of it. Just hope that the mission is a successful one and recovery will result.

Lincs and Notts Air Ambulance

Lincs and Notts Air Ambulance

Lincs and Notts Air Ambulance

So with that thought in my mind it was back to the engine shed. I had last night gone the WMD stores for some suitable roofing material which I had decided would be corrugated in some form. I had both packs of Wills corrugated iron and asbestos sheeting in stock.

3D Printed engine shed

I decided on the iron sheeting. With the choice made it was time to cut to size which is not always the easiest to do with Wills products. In general the sheeting is very thick but the secret is to score the back of the sheet and it will semi snap when you bend it. You then turn it over and a light cut on the surface which is clearly marked by the bend marks is usually enough to break the join.

3D Printed engine shed

With the sheets cut to length and width a trial fitting reveals all looks well! Next stage is to smooth and thin the edges and then think about joining them together. I want to be able to lift the roof off to see the interior I am hoping to put inside the shed so that will influence how everything is joined together.

3D Printed engine shed


No comments:

Post a Comment