Search this blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Rising prices!

I guess like everyone else, here at WMD HQ the cost of living has its affects. Money does not go as far as it did a few months ago but sometimes you do not notice until something suddenly hits you and gives you a jolt into reality! That goes for model trains too. About 10 years ago I bought a Lima two car DMU in good overall condition for £15 and a three car version about 8 years ago for £20. Here a couple of pictures of the two car one - I like it and for the money at the time this and the other were good value

Lima DMU

Lima DMU

So, whilst casually browsing eBay the other day when Mrs. Woody was distracted from watching over me by being busy catching up on the latest handbag styles, I saw a three car Lima DMU in blue and white livery which looked nice. On the basis of what I know of them the price at the time on the auction was £30 which sounded fair to me and as there was only two days left before the auction closed I put a bid in at a few pounds over. I was given that jolt when two days later i found that I had ben outbid and it actually sold for £76, well over my maximum bid! I am not saying it is overpriced at that, more that I have probably lost track of prices and it surprised me, for a model about 30 years old, that it achieved this price. I assume that given the prices of new models a larger number of modellers are looking at buying second hand which has to some degree increased prices of such items. 

Lesson learnt and with my convoluted thinking maybe investing in more models would be a wise move. Whether Mrs. Woody would see it that way is doubtful though! All I can conclude with is that if I leave this World before Mrs. Woody, I hope she doesn't sell my models for what I told her I paid for them otherwise someone will get a real bargain!


No comments:

Post a Comment