Search this blog

Saturday, January 14, 2023

The Tiger lives!

Searching my memory and believe me that is not a great place to look for anything, I was trying to recall the last time my radio controlled Tiger tank actually was used. I am thinking at least 8 years ago. Given that length of time I thought that it was unlikely that the Ni-cad battery pack would take a charge. The transmitter on the other hand works on 8 AA batteries. Depending on the brand you buy that can be quite a costly exercise which if the Ni-cad battery didn't work would at this stage be a bit of a waste. 

Whilst pondering on this dilemma I transported Mrs. Woody to the delights of Aldi to pick up a few bits and whilst queuing at the checkout wondering why we had a trolley full when we only came in for some soup I noticed a pack of 10 AA batteries for £2.49. Now that is my sort of pricing! They went on the checkout belt lost in amongst Mrs. W's 'we could do with these' items.

Back at WMD HQ the batteries were fitted to the transmitter and I was pleased that the power light came on when switched on.

Heng Long RC Tiger tank

Heng Long RC Tiger tank

Getting into the tank itself was a mystery. I just could not remember but after a bit of poking, prodding and pulling access was gained. The original plastic chassis was replaced with an aftermarket metal one by me when the plastic cracked around the rear wheels. The tank itself has a number of features. The main gun fires 6mm BB pellets, it has engine and gun sounds and with the right oil the exhausts give out smoke. All this for a price of about £69 back in about 2008 (I think) which was great value at the time. 

Heng Long RC Tiger tank

With access to the insides I disconnected the battery from the tanks wiring and connected it to the charger. I left it for about 15 minutes then reconnected it in the vain hope that some life may be in it. Switch on transmitter, move joysticks and nothing. Then I remembered there is a on/off switch on the tank itself. Slid that across and suddenly the lights on the tank came on and moving the joysticks it moved with engine noises. Brilliant! I did manage to get the hull top back on and had a play test for about 5 minutes before the battery went flat. Hopefully with a full charge I should get about half an hour out of it. All in all a great result and something else to now waste time on according to Mrs. W!

A small amount of progress on the Tamiya Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma with the interior seat bases painted a brown to simulate leather and the steering wheels painted black.

Tamiya Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma

I was going to weather the interior but given that it will be all but invisible once the upper hull and turret are in place I am just going to leave as it is. Viewing through the open turret hatches will at least reveal a painted interior.


No comments:

Post a Comment