Search this blog

Monday, January 16, 2023

A variety of things!

Yesterdays bike ride saw me in a small local village. As I approached the center I could see the rear of a truck that was parked up. That was unusual in itself for the village. However as I rode round it I  recognised the distinctive and unusual purple and yellow livery of the cab. It was, or rather had been as it had been stripped of the company name, an Edwin Shirley Trucking truck. 

Edwin Shirley Trucking

To some that may mean something but if not let me explain. EST as it was also known was a firm started in the mid 1970's as a music transport company moving the equipment of most of the major big bands to and from concert venues. I can well remember seeing their trucks parked up near music venues in my mis-spent youth. At the time and well before todays vinyl wrap liveries, most trucks were plain traditional blues greens and browns. EST trucks really did stand out - you could not miss them even if you had a few beers. I can recall reading an article on them around that time and the transport manager stated that the livery was designed just so no matter how much beer you had you would indeed remember their trucks. 

The other distinctive thing about the trucks was the company logo that was always under the windscreen - You rock, we roll! 

Edwin Shirley Trucking

Given that this truck still had that I knew it had really been an EST truck. I really do like that livery even after all these years and if I had the skills I would paint one of my truck kits up in these colours. Another one for my list of 'like to do' things.

What it was doing in that village is anyone's guess but I am unaware of any major names in music playing a concert in the local village hall!

Back at WND HQ the conservatory rebuild has progressed with a roof now in place!

Conservatory rebuild,

Conservatory rebuild,

Progress indeed! Mrs. Woody is looking forward to its completion for me it means I then have to paint it inside and sort the garden mud pit which has formed as a result of the work.

Yesterdays post detailed that the Heng Long Tiger tank was brought back to life. What I did not say at the time is that it has a smaller brother! This is a lesser spec Panzer III. Again not operated for about 8 years so I will have to see if the battery will still hold a charge and probably invest another £2.49 in some batteries for the transmitter.

Heng Long Panzer III

I really need a Sherman tank now to have a battle - mind you if Mrs. W thought that I was really getting a Sherman I can see me having a battle of my own where the odds are very much against me!

No comments:

Post a Comment