Search this blog

Saturday, August 5, 2023

No soggy viaduct!

Despite the almost wintery weathering that hardly inspires me to do anything involving going outside and getting soggy, I have ventured out into the Man Cave where further ballasting has taken place on my 00 gauge layout. It may not be much but I have done half of one of the two viaducts. 

I did, in a post a few weeks ago, outline my worries about in effect spreading dilute PVA on a cardboard structure and possible water damage with the whole viaduct ending up as a soggy mess. I did lay a plastic track bed with some pre-applied ballast along the edges and middle in an attempt to minimise any risk of water damage. Amazingly, for one of my ideas, it has worked. No soggy viaduct - so far anyway!

My Last Great Project

With the ballast dry this Class 57 in Freightliner livery took its train across to see if there were any issues and I am pleased to say there none. Just the addition of the ballast to the weathered track makes the scene look much more realistic.

My Last Great Project

The Freightliner livery is one of my favorites and really suits this loco. 

My Last Great Project

So far about 2 feet, or 60cm for younger readers, of track has been ballasted. There is a lot more to do which should still be keeping me busy into the real winter period!

My Last Great Project


No comments:

Post a Comment