Search this blog

Friday, August 4, 2023

The enormity of it!

As things move on with my 00 gauge Last Great Project layout I begin to realise why some people just build micro model railway layouts. The enormity of building a modest sized layout is beginning to hit me! I have spent a week in which I have laid about 10% of the track to the point where it can be ballasted. Then there still is the proper wiring, point motors and ballasting and that is without even thinking about scenery. No wonder my progress appears to be glacial! However each piece of track laid and glued down is one piece closer to the end and if I want to run reasonably long trains in a reasonably realistic setting then this is the price! If I wasn't building this layout what else would I be doing as I said to Mrs. Woody who just rolled her eyes and added a further couple of lines to her list of jobs for me to do!

Today there was more soldering of wires to another complex of points.

My Last Great Project

 I have also weathered some more track and actually started ballasting - just to see what it looks like!

Painting some PVA glue directly onto the underlay to provide a base gave a good start.

My Last Great Project

The ballast was spread and encouraged into place before being 'wetted' with some IPA AKA rubbing alcohol. Then some diluted PVA glue was dropped onto the ballasted and having already 'wetted' it with the IPA the PVA soaked into the ballast without moving it. It looks good in my view but there is a lot more to do!

My Last Great Project

Still at least things are moving on even with my glacial work pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment