Search this blog

Saturday, June 15, 2024

I fought the lawn and the lawn almost won!

Thursday at the Rocks by Rail Museum was a day where my battle with the grass was nearly lost with the mower breaking! The front wheels are driven and they pull the mower forward. Well they did until the mower stopped suddenly. Investigating I could turn the wheels 355 degrees in either direction but then they would jam. Time for the tools to come out!

Cover for the drive belt off , wheel off - no going back now!

Rocks by Rail Museum

The ever resourceful John gave me an airline to clean the parts up.

Rocks by Rail Museum

With the muck air blasted out of the way the culprit was discovered. A small stone had got between two of the gear teeth preventing the gear turning. Flicked out with a screwdriver all was well.

Rocks by Rail Museum

A through testing followed and the lawn lost!

Rocks by Rail Museum

Meanwhile these tw wagons had appeared in the platform. Looks interesting and worth a closer look.

Rocks by Rail Museum

What is that poking over the top?


I think that the vegetation is wining here! No I am not going to take the mower in and cut it despite the suggestion that I should!

Rocks by Rail Museum

I later found out that the wagons had been moved to get the tool van out as the track in the platform had subsided slightly and needed packing and jacking.

Rocks by Rail Museum

The track is jacked level with a hydraulic jack and then the ballast is compacted around the sleepers to support it in that level position. Just glad I was battling the lawn and not the track!

Rocks by Rail Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment