Search this blog

Sunday, June 30, 2024

Making electricity flow!

 I have needed to sort this out for years!

DCC controller

My rather poor excuse for making electricity flow from the DCC controller onto my USA switching layout. A sort through the WMD Stores revealed a number of phono plugs and one socket - perfect. If you are not aware phono plugs and sockets are generally used to connect speakers to an amplifier and are perfect for low voltages.

Using the wires supplied with the layout that electrically join the two baseboards, I spliced in a phono plug.

DCC controller

Then the socket was wired and soldered up.

DCC controller

The wires were also screwed into the DCC controller plug.

DCC controller

With it all plugged together this is what it looks like. Certainly a lot more robust and worthy of its job than my previous effort!

DCC controller

The greta thing is that I can now make a similar set up for Chalkdon my 009 narrow gauge layout where this controller will also be used. All I need to do is unplug the USA switching layout wires and move the controller over to Chalkdon. No more twisting wires together or using various clamps to try to make electricity flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment