Search this blog

Sunday, June 2, 2024

Time for a crane!

Cranes are always useful. You can use them to lift all manner of heavy items such as vehicles, crates or Mrs. Woody's latest internet shopping delivery! However WMD HQ does not have that many cranes and certainly not strong enough for the internet shopping lift but I do have one in stock for my 009 gauge layout Chalkdon. This is a 3D print that I picked up at the same time as the 3D printed diesel that I am building at the moment. That particular model has been matt varnished so whilst it dries I have started work on the crane.

This is what I got for £4 which is in my view excellent value.

3D printed crane

Being a 3D print it needs some tiding up and that round and less than flat base needs to come off. My plan is to mount it on a small brick plinth and located it near the wharf on the layout reaching across the siding and over the water. That hole in the base should provide a pivot point for some rod so that the crane can be moved and posed.

3D printed crane

3D prints can come in all sorts of plastic. This one is particularly hard so I used a saw to remove the bulk of the base and then sanded it smooth.

3D printed crane

With some sanding to the other parts the crane is ready for an undercoat of paint - in this case Vallejo light grey as I think that the final top coat will be red or blue.

3D printed crane

Some airbrushing saw the crane undercoated which needs to dry ready for top coat.

3D printed crane

Now I better go and move Mrs. W's latest delivery into the house - wish I had a crane!

No comments:

Post a Comment