Search this blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Rain stops mowing.

Todays trip to the Rocks By Rail Museum was supposed to see me get the mower out for another session of grass cultivation. However, the weather had other ideas with rain making the grass too wet to cut so I had to find another activity. I had noted that the recent wet and warm weather had encouraged the growth of weeds in the track bed. Now whilst weed control would normally be taken care of with a spray of weed killer from a suitably equipped train this is Rocks by Rail so I hand weeded the area around the station. I don't think anyone will say, wow someone has been doing a lot of weeding! However, hopefully subconsciously guests may feel that the place is cared for. We will have to wait and see what reaction we get on the operating day this Friday but I think it looks good!

 

Rocks by Rail Museum

 I did have some supervision from Riley the dog who probably knows more about the Museum than I do!

Rocks by Rail Museum

In between the rain I did have time to have a look at the display models in the Sundew cafe. Phil Parker's model railway layout (see it on his blog by clicking here or watch the first of Hornby's videos on this project here.) always attracts and entertains younger guests and we are fortunate in having it. It does get 'played' with so on occasions the little details do require some maintenance and I see I will need to bring some glue in when I go back again.

Rocks by Rail Museum

At the other end of the spectrum of models are these detailed scenes of quarrying including a massive model of Sundew the World's largest walking drag line.

Rocks by Rail Museum

Rocks by Rail Museum

Rocks by Rail Museum

Rocks by Rail Museum

Rocks by Rail Museum

There are also some informative displays on the history of iron ore mining and I really must find time to reacquaint myself with the contents sometime!

Rocks by Rail Museum

I can't escape Riley's supervision!

Rocks by Rail Museum

I will be back Bank Holiday Friday when the Museum will have a full on operating day - great!



No comments:

Post a Comment