Search this blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Time for a Western.

I don't get to operate the TV remote control here at WMD HQ. That is very much a Mrs. Woody job for some reason I have yet to work out! Therefore the likelihood of a John Wayne western film on the TV is as remote as the remote control itself! However for my purposes the Western I am interested in at the moment is the Dapol 00 gauge Class 52 Western locomotive. Built in the early 1960's as part of the railway modernisation plan, 74 of them operated mainly in the western regions. They were a diesel hydraulic design and as well as the distinctive engine sound they also looked distinctive and that is one of the things that attracted me to this model. If you want more information the Wiki page, click here will explain the technical details far better than I can.

I have had my model for some time now - purchased during the start of the pandemic - it now needs to exercise its motor! 

Dapol 00 gauge Class 52 Western

For my model I needed to add a DCC 21 pin chip. Having recently done the Dapol Class 73 I am happy to say it was as simple as that especially as I managed to fit the DCC chip the right way round this time!

The loco and the DCC chip in its packaging.


Dapol 00 gauge Class 52 Western

Four screws, one at each corner, allow the body to be lifted off.

Dapol 00 gauge Class 52 Western

With the body off the circuit board is revealed with the blanking plug on top.

Dapol 00 gauge Class 52 Western

Blanking plug removed and DCC chip plugged in - the right way round!

Dapol 00 gauge Class 52 Western

There is a pack of detail parts to fit including some headboard inserts and a very nice set of etched name plates for Western Dragoon. I will fit these later once the loco is run in.

Dapol 00 gauge Class 52 Western

Once I programmed the DCC chip it was time to run it in so onto the layout it was. Looks great and runs superbly. Certainly not a cowboy loco! Now, if I can get hold of that TV remote control there could well be another Western.....

Dapol 00 gauge Class 52 Western

Dapol 00 gauge Class 52 Western

Dapol 00 gauge Class 52 Western




No comments:

Post a Comment